Monday, April 23, 2012

Frida Kahlo’s “The Suicide of Dorothy Hale” was Commissioned as a Gift for Dorothy’s Grieving Mother—Or Was It? Myth Number One

This is the story recorded in history: Frida Kaho’s painting “El Suicidio de Dorothy Hale” (The Suicide of Dorothy Hale) was commissioned as a gift for Dorothy’s grieving mother. Clare Boothe Luce, who commissioned the painting, gave an exclusive interview about Dorothy Hale and the painting to renowned Frida Kahlo scholar and author, Hayden Herrera. Here is what Mrs. Luce said, “Suddenly it came to me that a portrait of Dorothy by a famous painter friend might be something her poor mother might like to have. I said so, and Kahlo thought so too. I asked the price, Kahlo told me, and I said, ‘Go ahead. Send the portrait to me when it is finished. I will then send it on to Dorothy’s mother.’

Clare Boothe Luce
Initially, I never doubted the account of Clare Boothe Luce. In fact, I was moved by the thoughtful gesture of Mrs. Luce and I admired her sensitivity. One of her dearest friends, Dorothy Hale, had allegedly committed suicide. Mrs. Luce was very kind to think of Dorothy Hale’s mother and orchestrate a memorial painting of her late daughter. I was personally saddened and shocked when I learned otherwise.

What did Dorothy's Mother Think of the Painting that Clare Commissioned?

Again, it was not that I questioned Mrs. Luce’s account. Instead, I was drawn to the painting and wanted to know more about Dorothy Hale and her friendship with Clare Luce and Frida Kahlo. I wanted to know about Dorothy’s mother and what she thought of the painting. I began to explore Dorothy’s life.

I was stunned to learn that Dorothy Hale’s mother died when Dorothy was sixteen years old.

I would later confirm that Dorothy’s father never remarried and that Dorothy’s family did not know Clare Boothe Luce.

Dispelling the Contradictions and Myths Recorded about the Life and Death of Dorothy Hale

There are an enormous number of books, articles, and web sites that discuss the painting, “El Suicidio de Dorothy Hale” (The Suicide of Dorothy Hale). Understandably, they reference Mrs. Luce’s account and have recorded that the painting was commissioned as a gift for the grieving mother of Dorothy Hale.


Now is the time to correct the inaccuracies surrounding Dorothy Hale and the painting. As I lecture and also work on a book about Dorothy Hale and the brilliant Frida Kahlo painting of her, it is a pleasure to begin sharing my research and dispelling the myths told about her. Early in my research it was important to me to find the family of Dorothy Hale and listen to their story. It has been a privileged to know members of the Donovan family.

As Dorothy Hale’s very own niece wrote many years ago: “My aunt deserves the respect of correct information.”

Myra Bairstow
info@dorothyhale.com

Quotes and Passages from “Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo” by Hayden Herrera

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment.